Saint James Garlickhythe was first mentioned in the twelfth century. 'Garlickhythe' refering refers to a nearby landing place where garlic was sold in Medieval times.
The original church was destroyed in The Great Fire and rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, being completed in 1683.
The church was only slightly damaged during The Second World War, despite the fact that a 500ib bomb came through the roof, embedded itself in the floor but failed to explode.
More information can be found on Wikipedia and from Saint James' website.