The original Saint Alphage was believed to have been built on the old London Wall around 1068. A second priory church, which became a hospital, was built on the site in the fourteenth century.
The church was damaged in The Great Fire, repaired in 1682 and damaged again during a First World War air-raid.
The church was rebuilt in 1919 and then demolished soon after leaving the remains of the original fourteenth century tower
More information can be found on Wikipedia.